Friday, August 30, 2013

DIY Crib / Toddler Bed Sheets

I don't know about you, but my kids need their crib bedding changed 3-4 times a week, if not every day. I just couldn't keep up with them as far as laundering their bedding went. One day, I had just gotten my son up in the morning and yet again, his sheets were sopping wet. Thankfully, his mattress is waterproof (what crib mattress isn't these days?) but I was stuck with a bare mattress again. It takes at least two hours to wash and dry one load of laundry if I'm paying attention to it the whole time. It only takes less than half an hour to make a crib sheet. You do the math :). I'm making a few of these a day, until I have enough and to spare. Here's how to do it.

Materials:
>>>Two yards of fabric.
Regular cotton fabric works great. You can use a flannel in the winter if you want. I liked to make sure that mine is mostly white with the print.

>>>1/4" Elastic, cut to 80"
I find that it gets pricey to keep buying this stuff at Joann's or what have you, (coupons people!) so I just get mine on Amazon.com. $.50/yard

>>>Sewing Machine (no serger needed)

>>>Measuring tape

>>>Fabric Scissors

To begin, fold your two yard of fabric in half (keep the selvaged edged together - no need to unfold).



Trim the side opposite the fold so that it measures 34" folded (68" total)
Cut an 8" square out of the corner (the corner with no folds, or you'll have a hole in the middle of your sheet). When you're done trimming and cutting, it should look like this.


 Unfolded, it looks like this. 45" by 68"at the widest and longest points.


Let the sewing begin! Start at the corners. You're going to bring the WRONG sides together first, to prevent any fraying or ugly edges, edge to edge. Start at the fold and sew toward the edges, like so.




Then, turn the corner inside out, and repeat your sewing steps. Give yourself enough seam allowance to cover the edges.


Here's what it looks like when you're done on the inside. See? No frayed edges!


And the outside. No frayed edges here either!



Repeat on all four corners. 

Now you're ready for the edging! You can iron 1/4", but I prefer to just hold it as I sew. Time saver hack right there :).  Sew the entire perimeter of the sheet.


Next, (you're almost done!!) you'll sew the ends of the elastic together.


You can iron again here, or you can use your new hack, and sew as you go. While you're sewing your elastic casing, be sure to avoid sewing the elastic itself. 



Look what you did!!


Have a little helper  help you stretch out your sheet so your elastic is evenly distributed.



No comments:

Post a Comment